Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Personal Baked Oatmeal

I definitely did NOT like oatmeal until I had some about um... two days ago. Now, I'm obsessed. Not really. But I do enjoy it for breakfast. However, I'm always running late and if I'm not something is wrong. I need something with fewer calories than poptarts and just as tasty as the protein bars I usually eat as I'm running out the door.

About a week ago I found a blog called Sugar Free Mom and all of her recipes are way healthier than the traditional way. So these individual baked oatmeals are an adaption to her recipe.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups of apple sauce
5 cups of rolled oats
2 3/4 cup of soy milk (you can use whatever milk you like)
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
3/4 cup honey
Assortment of toppings (i.e. strawberries, blueberries, raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, etc. Fruit can be either fresh or frozen.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, and honey together in a large bowl.
Add in oats, salt, baking powder, flax, and cinnamon and mix well with wet mixture
Pour in milk and combine. It will look runny and that's okay!
Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. (I would recommend this over using cooking spray!)
Pour mixture into tin almost all the way up to the top of the liner.
Add toppings. Press them gently into the oat mix.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.




And taduh! You have delicious breakfast (or snacks)! Let them cool and serve or you can put them in an air tight container or zipper bag and refrigerate or freeze. To reheat, microwave for 30-60 seconds depending on the microwave.

The first batch that I made I used cooking spray (which is what the photo is of) and if you don't get every inch of that tin they are going to come out in pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment