Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Peach Cobbler

I love my grandparents to death, I really do. However, they keep giving me all the surplus fruits and vegetables that they have from their expansive "garden".  The most recent acquisition was about a dozen and half peaches from their still producing peach tree. (They used to have several and several apple trees as well but they died a terrible lightening strike death. Oh, Oklahoma and your crazy weather.) Anyways, they give me these peaches which I'm not the biggest fan of but take them anyways. I figured that my roommate would devour them. Nope.
So here I am with a ton of peaches that I know I won't eat before they go bad. So what do I do? Make dessert. That's the solution to everything, right? The recipe I found was after searching my disorganized recipe pile for a good 15 minutes. This is obviously not my grandma's recipe (even though it's in her handwriting) because she is a very neat pie/cobbler maker and always has to have the formal pie crust. This does not. But it is very, very good. :)

Sorry it's not the prettiest picture


Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar (divided)
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat but all-purpose is good too!)
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk (soy or regular)
4 cups fresh peach slices
1 Tbs lemon juice
Ground cinnamon


Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Melt the butter and pour into a 9"x13" pan
Combine 1 cup of sugar, the flour, baking powder and salt. Add in milk until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour your batter into the pan on top of the butter, but don't stir it!!
In a skillet, add peaches, remaining sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour in to your pan on top of the batter, again, do not stir!
Sprinkle cinnamon on top to taste.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve warm or cool (you can add ice cream too!)

1 comment:

  1. I make peach cobbler often, using this recipe. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete