Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Memory Frame

     In light of Mother's Day and the recent tragic disasters in Moore, Oklahoma preserving memories captured through photographs becomes increasingly important. To those who lost everything in the tornado, even their loved ones' lives, our community is pulling together and praying for you.


    Photo box upon photo box can be found in my parents' house. Most of these boxes I had gone through while I was still in high school and were scattered and tucked away in my bedroom. Mother's Day weekend I spent hours finally cleaning out my room so my dad could have a "real" office free of all the girly decor I had left behind. Among my things that I shoved into drawers, I found these pictures of my mom's parents. One of my granddad and me and one of my grandmother and me. Mother's Day was also my granddad's 85th birthday! WoooHoo! He is old and opinionated but I think that's allowed. What made finding these pictures even more touching is that my grandmother died 9 years ago this year. I wanted to preserve the memory of her so that my future children can know who she was.

   To create this frame, I bought a picture frame from the dollar store and took out the happy smiling family and used them as a stencil. I traced out the size of the frame on scrapbook paper. I went online to find a quote about grandparents but all I found were so-so. So I made up my own kinda-sorta.  I printed it on another piece of scrapbook paper and cut it out from a stencil. I tacked the photos and the quote down with photo glue. On the quote paper I put brads on either end. I also painted the frame a different color because an ugly brassy color is never cute. 

    While I could have done more in the ways of decorating it, I think that the simplicity of it rings true to how my grandparents lived their lives. They are simple people who would rather spend a day with their grandchildren then spend a day buying lavish things. While my grandmother has passed, I see a lot of her in my mother. She is the inspiration for how I live my day to day life. 


Exodus 20:12 Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.


No comments:

Post a Comment