Saturday, January 26, 2013

Beefy Cornbread Casserole

Ah, a semi-cold day in Oklahoma. Just kidding. When I made this a few days ago it was seventy degrees. It's January right?? But despite the fact that we have had warmer than usual weather recently, my husband wanted a warm comfort food when he got home from work. For him I'll try and cook anything he wants. Keyword is try. 
I'm getting better at just kinda throwing stuff together and hoping for the best. My grandmother was the best at this. If she didn't have an ingredient she would substitute with the next closest thing and I don't remember a dish I didn't like from her.
I bring this up because it has been one of those "I'll just make whatever we have in the pantry" weeks. Cream style corn for example. I had corn and I had cream cheese. BAM cream style corn. The list can go on...



Ingredients:
1 box corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
1/3 cup milk
2 lg eggs
1-3 cups cheddar cheese (depending on your level of cheese loving)
1/3 cup diced Jalapenos or bell peppers for a milder taste
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 can cream style corn (or 3/4 cup regular corn with added dollop of cream cheese)
1 lb ground beef
1 lg onion diced
1 T vegetable oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder and whatever else to taste

Directions:
In a large skillet, brown beef until only a little pink is left. Add in diced onion and bell pepper/jalapeno and cook down.
In a mixing bowl add together corn muffin mix, milk, eggs, cheese, corn, oil, and spices to taste.
In an 8x8 pan grease and then pour a layer of the corn muffin mix. Add the beef mixture then top off with the rest of the corn muffin mixture. It's okay if the last of the muffin mix doesn't cover the beef entirely.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until the top layer is firm and browned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment