Monday, December 9, 2013

Pigs in a Blanket


The holidays are near and that means office Christmas parties! While I disliked the Christmas parties while I was in college (mostly because the tacky sweater was over done) I have started to enjoy these office parties more and more. 

The first party for my husband and I was his office's party at his bosses house. Her instructions: a five dollar dirty Santa gift and a snack food. For dinner? I don't think so. I need actual food to get through a night. Sorry. 
My husband thought of a great alternative to the hot dogs and hamburgers he was originally expecting: pigs in a blanket.

Now, I don't know if you've heard or not but it is FREEZING COLD in Oklahoma so getting out of the house more than once a day is a tough deal for us. And, inevitably I didn't have any canned cresent rolls to rap these piggies in so I made my dough from scratch and it was awesomely easy!


Pigs in a Blanket

Ingredients:
1 - 2 large packages of hot dogs
4 - 5 cups flour
1 1/2  tbs yeast
2 tbs honey
1 tbs salt
2 tbs oil
2 cups warm water

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine and whisk together water, yeast, and honey. Continue to whisk until yeast and honey are dissolved. 
  2. Add in slowly oil, salt, and 4 cups of flour. This will for a soft dough. It should stick to the bowl in a few spots but should not stick to your finger when you press on it gently. Let dough rest ten minutes.
  3. Place dough on a floured surface and knead several times. If dough stick to your hands gradually add flour to it. 
  4. Roll out to make an even sheet of dough. 
  5. Cut hot dogs in half and measure the size of dog on the dough and cut the dough accordingly. 
  6. Grease a cooking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
  7. Roll your dogs in the dough and place the seam side down on the baking sheet. (I had to use two pans)
  8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Let the little piggies rest on the pans while the oven preheats. 
  9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the bottoms are browned and the tops are golden. Let sit 5 minutes before serving or packing.
If you are bringing these to a party make sure that you line your container with paper towels to absorb condensation.

Makes 15 - 20 half hot dogs or true little pigs in a blanket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment